LASIK is a safe trusted treatment that has been used for over 25 years to help people out of their glasses and contact lenses. Here are 12 interesting facts about LASIK.
1. LASIK stands for Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis, which literally means "sculpting" of the "cornea".
2. LASIK Eye Surgery is painless.
3. LASIK surgery is very quick and the actual procedure only takes minutes to complete (both eyes). The laser part is over in seconds.
4. LASIK can correct: Myopia = near sightedness; Hyperopia = far sightedness; Astigmatism = irregular shaped cornea; and Presbyopia = loss of reading vision.
5. Up to 98% of people who wear glasses or contact lenses could be suitable candidates for Laser Eye Surgery.
6. LASIK can greatly improve vision without glasses and the majority of people can see 20/20 the next day after the procedure.
7. LASIK is very safe. There is more risk of vision loss from infection using contact lens than with LASIK.
8. The excimer laser used in LASIK cannot burn your eyes or skin. The laser is in fact cold and does not heat the eye.
9. A number of celebrities and sports stars have had LASIK done, including Lydia Ko, Elton John, Brad Pitt, Nicole Kidman, Kim Kardashian and Richard Branson.
10. Laser Eye Surgery isn’t just for those who wear glasses for everyday use. Reading vision can be easily treated with LASIK using a procedure called “Laser Blended Vision”
11. LASIK unfortunately is not for everyone - LASIK is not recommended for people with severe dry eyes and corneal disorders such as Keratoconus.
12. LASIK has been around for over 25 years and was first introduced in 1990, and became FDA approved in the United States in 1999.